HEY LOOK, GUYS, A RECIPE. I know I’ve been quiet lately. I’ve moved into a new apartment and I’m still kinda figuring out my personal schedule and getting back on track. But I know I owed you a delicious recipe so here it is!
I’ve been obsessing over coconut cake lately. It haunts my dreams: a light, fluffy white cake with a thick, ultra sweet frosting studded with sweetened shredded coconut.
Pure. Sugar. And. Carbs. SO GOOD.
But I can’t really indulge in those things too often anymore, and now that I’m living alone, me baking a whole cake is a dangerous idea. And of course I need new breakfast ideas full of protein all the time! I recently made some delicious banana protein muffins and figured I could adapt the recipe to a coconut cake! It’s even pretty easy.
The ingredients list is short: egg whites, plain Greek yogurt, coconut extract, unflavored whey protein, whole wheat flour, baking sugar substitute, baking powder and unsweetened coconut flakes.
You need to whip the egg whites into stiff peaks. It should take less than 10 minutes with a hand mixer, and egg whites whip better when they’re room temperature.
Next you fold in the Greek yogurt, being gentle so as not to break up all of the bubbles in the egg whites. Carefully stir in the dry ingredients, mixing until it’s *just* blended. If you overblend it the bubbles will disappear.
Pour the batter into a pan coated with cooking spray and make sure it’s evenly spread. Sprinkle the coconut on top in an even layer, then pop into a 325 degree oven. It’s going to rise a LOT, so you may want to put it on a baking sheet to catch any rogue flakes of coconut that might fall off. It’s going to take about 35-40 minutes, and will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Look at that amazing golden brown deliciousness!!! Allow me to even give you a CLOSE UP. Mmmm. Allow it to cool thoroughly then slice into four generous pieces. This is really good reheated gently in the toaster oven in the morning too.
Protein Coconut Breakfast Cake
A mildly sweet, protein rich cake with the flavors of coconut.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 230 cals, 10.3g fat, 271.3mg sodium, 14.1g carbs, 22.2g protein.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt – 42g Isopure unflavored whey isolate protein powder (or 1 1/2 servings of your brand)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 12 tsp sucralose
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites and coconut extract until stiff peaks then fold in yogurt. Add in the Whey Protein Powder, flour, baking powder and Splenda and mix gently until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the coconut evenly on top and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. The cake will rise considerably, so you might want to set a baking sheet underneath to catch any spills.
- Allow the cake to cool thoroughly (it will lose volume as it cools). Slice and serve!