I haven’t posted a recipe since HALLOWEEN?!
It seems kind of silly in hindsight but I just haven’t been in the mood to write. I’ve been reading a whole heckuva lot, and going hiking with my new guy and our respective pups, and doing some cooking, but the effort it takes to write recipes has eluded me until now.
I’ve been tweaking this recipe for a while now. It began with a breakfast ricotta cake I found online, has evolved into this current state, and no doubt will continue to evolve as I make it! I even have plans to make a savory version that includes cheddar cheese. For now, though, here is the simple but delicious and quite high protein Breakfast Cheesecake recipe!
This is a one bowl recipe, and the ingredients are simple: cottage cheese, sweetener, eggs, coconut flour and your favorite extract for flavoring. I used lemon because it helps mimic the tartness of cream cheese. You can either blend all of these things together in a food processor, which gives it a finer texture more like a dense New York style cheesecake, or you can mix it by hand, which will give it more of a crumb. For this recipe I’ve done it by hand, but I personally prefer the texture of the food processor (plus it takes like 60 seconds that way).
I stirred things together in steps to make sure it was blended properly:
Then spooned and pressed it into a large loaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray before placing it into a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
This definitely need to cool completely and be refrigerated before you’ll be able to slice it, but it’s so worth it!
Here’s the full recipe:
Breakfast Cheesecake w/ Fresh Strawberries
Cheesecake for breakfast that's loaded with protein?! Yes please!
- 2 containers no salt added cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup sucralose/Splenda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor (smoother texture) or by hand (crumblier texture), mix together all of the ingredients.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the center seems set.
- Allow to cool completely and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours before slicing. Served topped with fresh berries.