Hey everybody! Happy New Year!
By now you’ve probably all made some new years resolutions and are motivated and ready to kick some 2017 ass, right? Uh huh.
It’s time to talk a little bit about managing expectations. Look at your list of resolutions. Are you going to go from being a couch potato to running a marathon this year? Are you going to quick soda and alcohol cold turkey? Are you going to halve your calories so you can lose 50 lbs by summer?
You may be able to accomplish those goals, but it’s going to be hard. Exceedingly hard. Instead of tackling everything all at once, try to set some smaller, more achievable goals like the ones I set last year.
Let’s Review my 2016 Resolutions and see how I did:
Long Term Goals:
- Have a complete first draft of a cookbook before the end of 2016 NOPE. I barely worked on the cookbook at all.
- Pay off all of our credit card debt so we can begin to save for a house CLOSE. All of our credit card debt will be paid off by the end of March.
- RUN (and I mean run the whole thing) a legit 5K before the end of the year DONE! I ran an entire Turkey Trot 5K nonstop on Thanksgiving morning.
Medium Term Goals:
- Learn how to do a kettlebell snatch with proper form DONE! I need practice but I managed to teach myself proper form.
- Go camping/hiking at least once (maybe someone will ask me to go hiking with them) DONE! Even though we only stayed one night because it was 26 degrees overnight the first weekend in April.
- Take a road trip to Chicago to visit family DONE! This trip was SO MUCH FUN!
Short Term Goals:
- GET THIS 8 LBS OF CHRISTMAS WEIGHT OFF MY BODY ASAP (probably mostly water) UHM. It appears I weigh 2 more lbs than after last Christmas.
- Work on better lighting for my food photography DONE! I made a lightbox.
- Return the money I ‘borrowed’ to pay for emergencies to our savings account NOPE, we needed new computers so the money went to that.
Okay, I achieved 5 1/2 of the 9 goals I set. That’s not really too bad.
I have one major goal this year: TO NOT TELL ANYONE MY GOALS!
Why? Because when I run my mouth about stuff I almost always manage to not finish it. It’s a thing I do.
Also, I’m not beating myself up over not making every goal. Why? Because look at what I DID do! So don’t overwhelm yourself and don’t make your goals so difficult that you give up if you make a tiny misstep, and CELEBRATE when you achieve!
If you like sharing your goals with others, please share them in the comments below!