This recipe came about from having leftover Cuban-style pork. I hadn’t had a Cuban sandwich in ages, but I had everything I needed except for the Swiss cheese and the pickles (somehow using cornichons seemed blasphemous for such a low key sandwich) so it was an easy decision to make.
Other than toasting some bread and reheating meat, all you really need to do is some chopping. An easy peasy weeknight meal, ready in minutes!
Cuban 'Sandwich' Salad
A healthier version of the classic pressed Cuban sandwich.
If you’re going to overdo it on anything in this recipe, I suggest boosting the Swiss cheese. The cheese is really what gives this recipe it’s authentic flavor. Also, I may remake this and use pickle juice instead of balsamic in the dressing.
- Tossed salad (I used bell peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and romaine lettuce)
- 1 cup leftover pulled pork (I used this recipe but threw it in a crockpot)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut into strips
- 1 ham steak, cubed (I used hickory flavor)
- 1/2 cup kosher dills, cubed
- 1 multigrain roll, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard (I used Maille)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Toss the bread cubes with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and baked until golden brown and crunchy, stirring every few minutes. Should take about 10-15 minutes.
- In a shaker jar, combine remaining olive oil, balsamic and mustard. Set aside.
- Warm the pulled pork and ham.
- In a large bowl or on a large plate, layer salad, cheese, dills, croutons, ham and top with pulled pork. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
What do you think? Could this satisfy your need for maybe the world’s best pressed sandwich, at least for a little while?
4 thoughts on “Recipe: Cuban “Sandwich” Salad”
Best of both worlds: a salad and a yummy sandwich!! Love those Hatfield Ham Steaks!! Versatile!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Me too! I always get them when they’re super cheap and keep them in the freezer.
Yummmm. Thanks for posting this one as I didn’t have a clue as to how you made this. Sounds good and
LikeLiked by 1 person
It was very good! 🙂